Installing an Egress Window: 4 Steps
Door Installation Has Never Been Easier
- Install 5X Faster
- Eliminate Shims
- Perfect Fit Every Time
- Be sure to use a code compliant window well. If the well will be deeper than 44″ from vertical grade, a code compliant ladder will need to be installed. Ladders or rungs shall have an inside width of at least 12 inches, shall project at least 3 inches from the wall and shall be spaced not more the 18 inches apart.
- Many of the preformed window wells are made with integral code compliant steps. After the window well is in place, dig down to the footing drain that runs around the perimeter of the house. More than likely this is a simple french drain.
- Once the Tee is in place, use some landscape fabric to wrap the new connection. This will help in keeping soil and debris from finding it’s way into the drains.
- Typically the drain lines are 4″ light weight sewer and drain pipe. This has replaced the old clay tile drains that were used years ago.
- Fill in the rest of the window well with stone to desired height. Completing a window well with drains is the best way to ensure a trouble free egress window installation.