EZ How To: Remove Your Old Carpet
Summer is here. This is prime-time for renovations, and getting rid of that stained old carpet can be a great way to radically improve the look and feel of your home. In this article, we’ll give a step-by-step guide to removing your carpet. Then, once your new carpet is in, you’ll be all set to install a new door. Read our complete guide to installing interior doors here.
*Before you get started, you’ll want to figure out a plan for disposing of your carpet. Check to see if there are any local carpet recycling programs in your area. Otherwise, you may need to visit a landfill or schedule a trash pickup.*
You’ll want some basic construction tools, such as:
- Utility Knife
- Pry bar
- Work Gloves
- Safety Glasses
- Paint scraper (or other sturdy flat-edge tool)
- Floor scraper
- Clear the Way
- Anything covering the carpet needs to be removed. Remove all of the furniture and doors. Baseboards don’t normally need to be removed, as they should be raised up off the floor about ¾ of an inch, and the carpet is tucked underneath them.
- Cut the carpet vertically into strips. You want these to be narrow and manageable. Make sure not to cut the subfloor beneath the carpet!
*Put on your gloves, safety mask and glasses on from this point on. It will be dusty!*
- Starting along the wall, grab the corner edge of your carpet strip with pliers, and pull it toward you until the carpet detaches from the sharp tack strip holding it firm to the wall.
- Once the corner is free, you can grab and pull the rest of the strips’ edge with your gloved hands to completely detach it from the sharp tack strip. Then, when it’s completely free from the wall, roll up the detached carpet like a rug all the way to the end.
- Repeat with each section of carpet until completion.
*Unless your tack strips are moldy or rusted, they'll be fine to keep in place for your new carpet*
- Cut and remove the carpet padding in a similar fashion to the carpet. The padding is held in by staples, which can be removed with pliers or a floor scraper.
Door Installation Has Never Been Easier
- Install 5X Faster
- Eliminate Shims
- Perfect Fit Every Time